Keep precious data safe during an enterprise-wide OS upgrade
One-to-one device migrations, when an IT worker spends hours migrating a device to the Windows 10 platform, aren’t fun for anyone. They drain IT’s time and money and render workers idle as they wait for their devices. More importantly, they put the company at risk for data loss.
Gartner estimates that enterprises using one-to-one migration processes for Windows 10 upgrades could spend up to $445 per device. For a large organization with 2,500 employees, that can add up to more than $1.1 million. And that’s not even counting the loss of productivity as workers wait to get their devices back from IT. Some remote employees may even need to ship their device back to headquarters for the migration, adding additional time and cost.
With 2018 shaping up to be a peak year for Windows 10 migration, how can companies avoid the cost and disruption of a large-scale institutional operating system upgrade? And how can they protect valuable company IP while doing it?
Faster, easier, safer
Luckily, savvy companies are turning to user-driven migration for Windows 10. By using tools such as Code42, these organizations are making migrations more scalable and repeatable, cutting costs while keeping their data safe. Using Code42’s migration solution speeds the Windows 10 migration from three hours to 30 minutes on average.
Code42 recommends two different Windows 10 migration processes for companies, based on their needs:
- Classroom-style migration. For organizations not ready to give up full control to users, this one-to-many process can provide a good interim step on the journey to automation. As its name suggests, in this process, IT hosts events during which multiple users bring their devices and perform the migration themselves, with IT walking them through the process. As in any classroom, if a single user has a specific issue come up during the session, the IT “teacher” can provide some one-to-one guidance while the other users are self-migrating.
- User-driven migration. Organizations can largely eliminate IT involvement in the Windows 10 migration—the dream of many IT teams—by implementing a fully user-driven process. Using Code42’s migration solution, users simply follow instructions and get in touch with IT only when a specific issue comes up. This approach can speed migrations by 75 percent and leave IT more time to focus on critical issues. Users also benefit by remaining in control of their data and making the migration when it’s convenient for their schedules.
A migration tool that works
To make either of these options work requires the right tool: a simple, intuitive, user-friendly system. Code42 provides this through:
- Automatic, continuous endpoint backup. Any backup solution that requires manual user activity is doomed to fail because not all users will follow the protocol. Implementing Code42 lays the foundation for a successful migration to Windows 10 because we back up every version of every file, every 15 minutes. No matter how reliable—or not—users are, their endpoint data will be safe.
- Clear, simple instructions for users. Organizations typically have users who run the gamut of comfort with technology. Code42’s system is powerful enough to facilitate a complex migration like one from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but easy enough for even the least technically savvy employee to walk themselves through the process.
- Access to data during migration. For certain high-profile users, not being able to access their data for even an hour during migration is unacceptable. Code42 makes it easy for users to access their most recently used files while the other files are migrating.
- Migration of profiles and device settings. After the Windows 10 migration, users will be up and running more quickly if their device looks, feels and performs as it did before the migration. Code42 migrates device settings so users don’t have to spend precious time doing it themselves.
From dreaded to done
IT teams and users often dread the process and aftermath of an operating system upgrade. By using Code42’s migration solution, companies can save time and money while allowing users to control their experience. More critically, Code42 ensures the security of valuable endpoint data during the Windows 10 migration. IT can focus on more mission-critical tasks and users can continue doing their jobs.
Code42 Product Demo: Device Migrations