Recently, a cohort of about 30 talented new Code42 hires spent a week with our leadership team, taking in their advice and wisdom. It was Experience Week, our quarterly cultural deep-dive that all new employees participate in within the first 90 to 180 days of their time with the company. Experience Week is a cross-functional, educational, and rewarding experience, and it’s always delivered by senior leaders at Code42.
During the week, executives share their experiences, talk about Code42’s values and give a bird’s eye view of the work their teams are doing to move our business forward. In addition, they share anecdotes about family life, hobbies and passions outside of work. Here are some of the snippets shared at our most recent Experience Week:
- “Greatness is a choice. It’s being able to see things the way they could be,” said Mike Robbins, senior vice president of worldwide sales. “It’s not a function of circumstances. That’s not how greatness works. We need to choose it.”
- “Working at Code42 doesn’t come with an instruction manual, it’s a chance to make an impact,” said Leslie Pendergrast, senior vice president of people. “It’s not a calm carousel ride, but instead a thrilling and exciting roller coaster.”
- “As Mark Zuckerberg says, ‘If you’re not breaking stuff, you’re not moving fast enough,’” said senior vice president of research, development and operations Rob Juncker, as he charged the new hires to move fast and innovate.
Feedback from new hires that have gone through Experience Week affirm the personal value they place on the experience. “Every company should invest in their people like this,” said one attendee.
Here are some more thoughts from Experience Week attendees:
- “Thank you for taking the time to invest in this for all new hires. I can’t tell you how far it goes to really indoctrinate us into the culture and heartbeat of the company. As a remote employee, it was even more invaluable.”
- “I learned a ton about what it will take to succeed at Code42 and emerged really energized to break out of my comfort zone.”
- “I was inspired to bring passion and commitment every day and be in charge of my own development.”
Education and connection
As much as Experience Week is about equipping new hires with the context they need to be successful at Code42, it’s equally about connection — connection to our culture and values, and most importantly, our people. By the end of Experience Week, our cohorts of new hires have close connections to 30 to 40 employees from all across the company.
These connections are formed in part by the entertaining evening activities that are part of Experience Week. In the past, these activities have included Iron Chef style cooking competitions, Amazing Race inspired scavenger hunts, Segway tours, escape rooms, Minnesota Twins baseball games and happy hours with executives.
Capstone experience: a personal manifesto
The action-packed week ends with every member of the new hire cohort sharing their personal manifesto. It’s their chance to present themselves to the company in a personal and creative way. The entire company is invited to watch the presentations and learn about who our new employees are, what drives them personally, and how they plan to make an impact on the organization going forward.
We are only as good as our people. Experience Week is an investment in our team members. New hires find their place to belong and are charged to make an impact at Code42. It is a powerful and unique experience that motivates and supports our employees with the context and connections they need to pursue peak performance, individually and collectively.
Are you a difference-maker? Join our team and maybe we’ll see you at our next Experience Week. code42.com/careers
Want to #BeCode42? Join the Code42 team.